What is Autism? And Why is it Now a Global Issues
Autism simply put, is a disorder that affects a child social interaction and communication at a tender age, it begins after the age of six (6) months which is much more feasible at age three (3) and tend to continue through adulthood though in a more muted form. This condition will make a child be restricted and having a repetitive kind of behavior; it is a disorder of neural development. Autism affects information processing in the brain by altering how nerve cells and their synapses connect and organize. Parents usually notice signs in the first two years of their child’s life.
The signs usually develop gradually, but some autistic children first develop more normally and then regress. Early behavioral or cognitive intervention can help autistic children gain self-care, social, and communication skills. Not many children with autism live independently after reaching adulthood, though some become successful. Autism has a strong genetic basis; in rare cases, autism is strongly associated with agents that cause birth defects. Controversies surround other proposed environmental causes, such as heavy metals, pesticides or childhood vaccines.
Autism and Social Development
- The usual way is that social development becomes noticeable early in childhood.
- Children who suffer from autism show less attention to social stimuli
- They find it difficult to smile
- They look at others less often and respond even less to their own name.
- These kinds of child try to avoid eye contact and if there is any, it has to be a minimal eye contact.
- They do not have the ability to use simple movements to express themselves, such as the deficiency to point at things.
- Approach others spontaneously, imitate and respond to emotions, communicate nonverbally, and take turns with others.
- Autistic children are less likely to make requests or share experiences and are more likely to simply repeat others’ words.
- About a third to a half of individuals with autism do not develop enough natural speech to meet their daily communication needs.
Recently much have been said about the new drug believed to put an end to autism problem, though, there are much controversies about the drug after some set of scientists carried out this experimental drug on mice. Some quarters still believed that the evidence behind autism drug may be biased. Before now there is no known cure for autism, and they’re not enough evidence to prove that the experimental drug will be the solution to autism. Autism can be managed, a lot of children grow up with it through the proper management and you will hardly notice it in them.
Hope you find this information highly resourceful? If you do, make use of any of our social network share tools to help us share the information so that others too will be informed.