An Overview of Metformin
- Do not use metformin if it it not prescribed for you by your medical doctor.
- Do not use metformin if you’re allergic to it.
- Call your medical doctor for treatment with insulin if you’re in a state of diabetic ketoacidosis.
- If you have heart diseases or liver diseases ensure your doctor is aware before taking metformin.
- Stop taking metformin at least temporarily if you’re to have any CT scan or X-ray using a dye that is injected into your vein.
Metformin should not be given to a child younger than 10 years old. Extended-release metformin (Glucophage XR) should not be given to a child younger than 17 years old.